*Their War, Our History!*
A grant was received from the Neighbourhood Budgets of the three Belmont County Councillors to fund a World War 1 Project entitled “Their War, Our History.” The project officer is Erika Denholm, who has organised a series of events and projects:
- First Shots War Talk and Social Event
- Primary Schools Summer Holiday Programme
- Lights Out Evening
- Summer Fair
- Belmont Duke of Edinburgh Award WW1 Project
- Laurel Avenue Primary School “Tea Club” WW1 Project
- Gilesgate Community Centre WW1 Project for young people
- Grand Day Out to Beamish Museum to see the Durham Pals and WW1 Commemorative Displays
- War Memorial Presentations from local Children and Young People
- Tea Party for Older Residents in Belmont
- Year 7 Students from Belmont Community School “Christmas Day Truce” Performance
- Tea Party for Older Residents in Gilesgate
- “Muddy choir” Youth Group visit
A WW1 Research Group has been formed to document the history of Belmont during the 1914 – 1918 period.
More events are planned with schools, visits to Heugh Battery on the Hartlepool Headland and the National Memorial Arboretum, an essay competition, composition of a Belmont Anthem and a re-print of the Belmont War Memorial booklet.
For more information call Erika on 07743246803.
Have a look at the WW1 events! ww1-events-update-october-2016